FONTERRA BRANDS NEW ZEALAND LAUNCHES NEW ZEALAND’S FIRST RECYCLING SOLUTION FOR YOGHURT POUCHES
Fonterra Brands New Zealand (FBNZ) is launching New Zealand’s first recycling programme for yoghurt pouches.
The Fonterra Pouch Brigade means that New Zealanders are now able to collect yoghurt pouches and send them to recycling company TerraCycle, at no cost, where they will be upcycled into children’s pencil cases, or recycled into new products such as chairs and park benches.
Fonterra Environmental Manager Nic Bishop said as FBNZ was preparing to launch its kid’s yoghurt Anchor Uno in a pouch format it realised there was no way for consumers to recycle the packaging.
“We know that pouches are hugely popular with kids. But we also know that Kiwis care about their environment and want to recycle their packaging waste,” said Mr Bishop.
“That’s why we have partnered with Terracycle to provide a recycling solution for all yoghurt pouches – that’s Anchor Uno pouches or any other yoghurt pouch. This programme also builds on the Anchor Recycling Moo-vement, which is where we develop recycled product ideas and community partnerships.”
TerraCycle New Zealand General Manager Anna Minns says TerraCycle recycles the ‘unrecyclable’.
“The Fonterra Pouch Brigades are a fun and free way for New Zealanders to get involved in recycling. For every 1kg of pouches we receive, we’ll give 100 TerraCycle points to a local community group, school, or a charity of the collector’s choice.”
“To assist with the launch we have worked with FBNZ to provide all of the resources needed to collect, ship and recycle, whether this is DIY collection bins, posters or signage,” says Ms Minns.
“We’re now in 21 countries around the world and our aim is to eliminate the idea of waste which is why we’re proud to be working with such a large company like FBNZ to support their sustainability initiatives.”
How to recycle with the Fonterra Pouch Brigade:
- Visit terracycle.co.nz/fonterra-pouch to sign up.
- Create your own recycling bin and place it at your school, kindergarten, community group or at home – see online resources
- Collect the pouches and once your recycling bin reaches the 2kg minimum shipment size, send it for free to TerraCycle
- TerraCycle will then donate 100 TerraCycle points for every 1kg of pouches to a local community group, school or charity of your choice
- The first 25 brigades that sign up will receive an Anchor Uno voucher. The first 50 will go into the draw to win 1 of 5 upcycled products.