4.1. We collect and use your personal data in a number of situations, for example:
4.1.1. When you do business with us:
(a) For the assessment and acceptance of a customer, supplier or business partner
When you get in contact with us, either via our website, telephone, offline or otherwise, we may process your personal data for assessment and acceptance purposes, for example, to confirm and verify your identity. We may further process your personal data for other administrative purposes such as due diligence and screening against publicly available government and/or law enforcement agency sanctions lists. In addition, we may collect personal data about your credit arrangements in order to assess any credit application you make, this may include collecting your personal data from credit reporting agencies or other third parties for credit assessment and debt collection purposes.
(b) For the conclusion, execution and performance of agreements with us
When you have purchased or ordered a product or service from us as a customer or consumer, either online through an online shop, via telephone or offline, or when you work together with us as a vendor, supplier or business partner, we may process your personal data for administrative and customer service purposes, including sending invoices, processing payments, providing you with order status, dealing with your enquiries and requests, assessing and handling complaints, and otherwise communicating with you regarding an order that you have placed with us, or a product/service you are using (including critical updates and announcements)
(c) For relationship management and marketing
We may use the information stored in our customer database for marketing purposes, including to send you suitable offers and newsletters, supply you with further information concerning products or services which may be of interest to you, and to invite you to take part in competitions, sales promotions, surveys or events. We will also use it to provide customer services, provide and maintain customer loyalty schemes (where you have registered), perform account management and communicate recalls. We may also use your personal data for the analysis, usage, trends and statistics of our digital channels, and development, execution and analysis of market surveys and marketing strategies.
(d) For internal management
We process your personal data in the performance and organisation of our business. This includes general management, order management and management of our assets, and the improvement of our services including monitoring the quality and standard of services provided by our Farm Source stores. We have central processing facilities which conduct audits and investigations, implement business controls, and manage and use consumer, customer, vendor and business partner directories. Also, we process your personal data for finance, accounting, archiving and insurance purposes, legal and business consulting, and to maintain the security of our data and systems.
(e) For management reporting analysis and acquisition and divestitures
We process your personal data in the preparation and performance of management reporting and analysis (including in the context of mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, and management of such transactions). We use aggregated and anonymised personal data to create management reports and to analyse our business and report on certain metrics, either to comply with reporting regulations or to improve our processes and services. We may conduct customer, supplier and business partner surveys to learn more about your views and opinions in preparation of our management reporting.
(f) To comply with mandatory legal and regulatory obligations
In some cases, we process your personal data to comply with laws and regulations (including tax and accounting requirements), which are subject to strict Fonterra Group Policies and Group Standards (such as retention periods).
We also monitor our IT systems to check for compliance with regulations, laws and Fonterra policies (including fraud). Personal data we hold about you may be accessed and viewed for compliance monitoring purposes. The personal data that is accessed and viewed for this purpose will not be stored following such monitoring unless we need it to further investigate potential non-compliant behaviour.
Where a specific jurisdiction imposes other obligations in relation to the collection, processing and use of your personal data we will comply with the requirements as per our obligations under that jurisdiction.
(g) (In the case of Fonterra farmers) to facilitate your compliance with your legal and regulatory farm management obligations.
(h) To facilitate the Trading Among Famers programme.
(i) For other purposes relating to the dairy industry.
(j) Any other purposes authorised by you or that are notified to you at the time of collection.
4.1.2. When you interact with Fonterra (online using our website or mobile applications or offline):
(a) Responding to questions and correspondence from you
If you get in touch with us via our customer services centres, corporate email addresses, phone numbers, physical address or via a contact form on a Fonterra website, we will use your personal data as set out in this privacy statement, including to reply to and answer your question or to provide other customer services or commercial support. Accordingly, we process your name, contact details, correspondence with us, your question and all other personal data which is necessary to respond to your communication.
(b) To allow you to connect with us (for example, via social media)
We are active on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. When you contact us via social media, we process your personal data to answer your questions, to respond to your messages, and to provide customer services support.
(c) To deliver you our websites’ and/or apps' and for their technical and functional management
(d) If you open a user account with us, to administer the account and to ensure confidentiality and security of your transactions
When you choose to register with one of Fonterra’s websites, apps or online portals, you need to provide personal data so that we can create a personal account for you. Upon creating your account, we will send you your personal login information. This personal data enables us to administer your account and verify your identity, ensure confidentiality and to maintain the security of your transactions, data or use of the account (including providing you with a replacement password when you forget your username or password for any account you have with us). We are, however, not able to view your password.
(e) For the development and improvement of products and/or services
We process your personal data to assess, analyse and improve our products and services for our farmers, customers and consumers. We use aggregated personal data to analyse consumer and customer behaviour and to adjust our products and services accordingly. When you use a website, app, or online portal, enter or search data through this website or app, we also process your personal data to compile analytics reports. We use aggregated personal data to analyse customer behaviour and to adjust our products and services accordingly, to ensure that it is relevant to our customers. This means that we may analyse how often you read our newsletters, how often you visit our website, apps or portals, which pages you click on, and what transactions you make. We may purchase supplementary data from public sources to complement our database for the above purposes.
(f) To protect health, safety, security and to ensure integrity
At Fonterra, we value your health, safety, security and integrity highly. We process your personal data to safeguard our employees, customers, suppliers and business partners. As such, we authenticate your access rights to our premises. We also process your personal data to protect Fonterra and employee and customer assets.
4.2. The types of information we may collect and process are, where applicable:
• Your contact details such as your title, name, address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, and personal details such as your date of birth, gender, payment and credit information, tax and GST or VAT details.
• Your correspondence with us, such as a note or recording of a call you make to a customer service centre, or with any of our employees, a live chat log, an email or letter sent, or other records of any contact or correspondence with us including the completion of forms on our digital channels (including surveys, search forms, registration forms, and other forms).
• Where you have a personal account with us, your account information such as order history, payment history, account numbers, login data, correspondence with us, account management information or other information that you have added to your account.
• Credential information – we’ll collect passwords, hints and similar security information used for authentication and access to any accounts and services.
• Your preferences for particular products, services and activities when you tell us what they are (for example by completing a survey), or we assume what they are, based on how you use any of our products and services.
• Data generated during the performance of the agreement(s) between you and Fonterra, and other data stored in our customer, supplier and business partner databases, including Farm Source.
• We process the personal data you have entered into our websites, apps or online portals or that is generated by the functionalities you have used in these forums and the technical data from your device such as its IP address, the internet browser you use, the pages you have visited on our websites, portals or apps, your click and surf behaviour and the length of your session. We process the communication channel you may have chosen to use to connect with us (such as Facebook or Twitter) and the personal data you supply to us. We may gather more extensive information if we are concerned, for example, about abnormal website usage patterns or website security breaches.
• See the 'Cookies' section for details on what we collect using cookies and visit www.fonterra.com/cookiesstatement for our full Cookies Statement.
• Your location data. This may be precise such as where you enable location-based services or features on our websites, apps or online portals, or less precise where, for example, a location is derived from your IP address or data such as an address.
• If you physically visit our premises, we may also collect information about you on CCTV as part of our security and crime prevention measures, we may also collect your name and contact details and, where applicable, car registration for security and health and safety purposes, and your visiting history to our premises, and to provide facilities such as wifi.
• Information we obtain from other third-party sources, such as credit agencies, fraud-prevention agencies, debt collection agencies and from other data providers that may relate to your interactions with us.
If you provide personal data to us about another person, you must ensure that person is aware of this privacy statement and you warrant that the person has authorised us, through you, to collect, use, process and disclose personal data about that person, for the purposes described in this privacy statement.
4.3. Lawful bases we rely on for processing this information
We comply with applicable privacy laws including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The lawful bases we rely on for processing information of data subjects subject to GDPR are: (a) your consent - you are able to remove your consent at any time by contacting us (see ‘How can you contact us’ below); (b) we have a contractual obligation; (c) we have a legal obligation; (d) we have a vital interest; (e) we need it to perform a public task; or (f) we have a legitimate interest.