Do you want to buy Fonterra shares?

You might be able to apply to be an Associated Shareholder.

More types of farmers can hold shares under Flexible Shareholding, helping to provide a pathway for future owners.

This section gives an overview for Contract Milkers of what’s involved in being an Associated Shareholder.

For a full overview so you can make an informed decision, remember you’ll need to read the Rules for Shareholding.

A quick overview of Associated Shareholders

As a Contract Milker, am I eligible to become an Associated Shareholder?

You can apply to hold shares as an Associated Shareholder if:

  • you’re a Contract Milker on a farm where there is a shareholder supplying milk to the Co-op;
  • you have a contract milking agreement or similar document with this Supplying Shareholder; and
  • Fonterra is paying you directly for milk supplied from the farm.

Sharemilkers and Farm Lessors can also become Associated Shareholders.

How many shares can I own and can I vote as an Associated Shareholder?

The maximum number of shares all Associated Shareholders for a single farm may own is equal to 1x the Share Standard for milk supplied from the farm. This excludes any shares still held by anyone who has stopped being an Associated Shareholder of the farm. There’s no minimum shareholding requirement.

No, Associated Shareholders cannot vote because they do not supply milk to the Co-op.