1. What is the Fonterra Grass Roots Fund?
The Fonterra Grass Roots Fund is a New Zealand-based community grant programme focusing on the dairy communities where our staff, shareholders, suppliers and their families live and work.
2. What does the Fonterra Grass Roots Fund aim to achieve?
As a farmer co-operative we are dedicated to supporting the social needs of our current and future generations. The aim of the fund is to maintain healthy, vibrant communities by supporting ideas, projects and initiatives that make a real impact.
3. What has the programme achieved since it started?
We have supported over 2500 initiatives since the programme was established in 2007, making a huge impact in our local communities across New Zealand.
4. What types of initiatives and activities are supported by the programme?
We are committed to programmes which share our vision, values and cooperative spirit. Specifically, initiatives must fall into one of three categories; Bringing Communities Together, Caring for the Environment, Making our Communities Safer.
5. How much can groups apply for?
Support is provided from $500 to a maximum of $5,000 per application. All support includes GST.
6. Can groups apply more than once within a year?
There aren’t any restrictions on the number of times groups can apply for different initiatives. However you can only submit an application for a particular initiative request once within a year. If it is unsuccessful, you must wait until the following year to re-submit it.
7. Who decides which applications are successful?
There are eight regional Fonterra Grass Roots Fund committees which manage, approve and support local initiatives for their local communities. They assess applications against key criteria and guidelines.
The committees are made up of Fonterra staff, local people from the community and our Farmers.
8. How do we apply?
Applications will only be accepted via the online application process.
9. What kind of proof will I need to supply for my bank account details?
For the bank account that you nominate you will need to supply either:
- A scanned copy of a printed bank deposit slip.
- A signed teller’s slip.
- A screenshot of your online bank account showing the account name and number.
- A scanned copy of your bank statement showing the account name and number.
10. What format should I use for attachments?
Your attachment needs to be a PDF, Word document or JPEG (image). It needs to be under 10mb.
11. How will we know that you have received our application?
You will be sent a PDF copy of your application, if you don’t receive this within a few minutes of submitting your application then please check with us. – See question 18.
12. When are applications reviewed?
Applications can be submitted any time throughout the year, however there are only two times a year that these are reviewed. To make sure you get reviewed during these two periods make sure your application is in by 31 March or 31 August. This process usually takes up to six weeks.
13. How will we know if we’ve been successful?
You will be contacted by email confirming whether your application has been successful or not. If successful, they will detail next steps around the grant process.
14. If I’m not successful can I find out why?
We receive a large number of requests for support each year, and unfortunately we can’t support them all.
We aren’t able to respond to queries regarding an application, but if you think your application meets all of the criteria you do have the option to reapply.
15. What makes a good application?
Here are a few tips.
- Make sure your application fits within one of the three criteria and make sure you read our Fonterra Grass Roots Fund Guidelines or visit the projects page on Facebook to see some of the successful applications.
- Clearly outline how you will use the grant if successful.
- Keep it short and concise.
- Source a quote for the equipment/work to be done (include the cost of including the Fonterra Grass Roots Fund Logo if this is possible) .
If requesting funding as part of a larger project please include information on what support you have raised and how our support will help you reach your goal.
Please let us know if there is an opportunity for our Staff and Farmers to come and help out on the project.
Remember – we will only support applications up to $5,000!
16. How do we promote our project/event when we’ve received our grant?
We have a dedicated Fonterra Grass Roots Fund Facebook page – a great way to promote your project/event to your friends, family and community.
17. How do I contact the Fonterra Grass Roots Fund fund if I have other questions?
The best way to get in touch with us is via email – email@example.com or via Facebook.