Fonterra supports Healthy Kids' Industry Pledge
14 March 2017
Fonterra has pledged support to the New Zealand Ministry of Health’s Healthy Kids’ Industry Pledge which aims to help reduce rates of obesity in children in New Zealand.
Fonterra’s Chief Operating Officer of Global Consumer and Foodservice, Jacqueline Chow, said “Fonterra is proud to be a part of the pledge. As a New Zealand dairy nutrition company, we already play a role in ensuring Kiwi kids have access to healthy nutrition and the information they need to make healthy choices.”
In signing up to the Healthy Kids’ Industry pledge, Fonterra has detailed how it will support the initiative in a tangible way with seven commitments:
• We’re committed to making free nutritious milk available nationwide to all schools with primary-aged children as part of Fonterra Milk for Schools programme.
• We’re committed to providing free milk for a nutritious breakfast for all Kiwi school kids as part of the KickStart breakfast programme.
• We’ll rollout the Health Star Rating on all our everyday products in New Zealand, as we refresh our packaging.
• By the end of 2018, Fonterra Brands NZ will include Health Star Rating information on our websites for all Brands NZ everyday products.
• Our advertising will always comply with the Advertising Standards Authority Children and Young People’s Advertising Code in New Zealand.
• When Fonterra Brands is sponsoring events for children, Fonterra Brands will support healthy nutrition.
• We’ll continue to move our portfolio of everyday products for children and young people towards using minimum quantities of added sugars, refined carbohydrates, added fats, salt and other additives without compromising on quality, taste, texture or safety.
“Through these commitments, we’re cementing the future of some of our existing commitments such as our Milk For Schools Programme, which currently provides 140,000 primary school aged children with free milk every weekday during school terms – and introducing a number of new initiatives that will really make a difference to New Zealand’s kids,” added Ms Chow.
BACKGROUND NOTES ON MINISTRY’S OF HEALTH’S HEALTHY KIDS’ INDUSTRY PLEDGE:
Fonterra has signed up to the New Zealand Ministry of Health’s Healthy Kids’ Industry Pledge.
The industry pledge is as follows:
• considering options for innovation and the reformulation of products to ensure children and their families have easy access to healthier food options
• continuing to enhance labelling to help families make healthy choices for their children, including supporting the government’s health star ratings
• continuing to provide fact-based information to help families make healthy choices for their children
• supporting responsible marketing, advertising, and sponsorship of foods to children that supports healthy nutrition
• supporting the government's efforts to address differences in health outcomes for different population groups, particularly Māori and Pacific peoples
• identifying and communicate specific activities that we will undertake within our business, and publicly report on our progress.