Our people are essential to our success at every stage. Through our Safe Home system, we strive to create a working environment where our people are healthy, live with balance and go home safely every day, everywhere.
Fonterra has a goal to be world class in its health and safety performance by FY14.
We have defined world class as:
- 0 fatal incidents – employees, contractors and public in operations within our control
- Total Injury Frequency rate (TRIFR) of less than 10
- Audit scores of 80 per cent or higher in our Group-wide Health and Safety audits
We have put in place a comprehensive health and safety programme to support achievement of these goals called the ‘Safe Home System’.
The key elements of our system are:
- People: Build an organisation and team of people that believe and demonstrate that zero harm is possible. Support our people when they are hurt and develop an environment where people are healthy, well and safe.
- Process: Develop core policies, processes and procedures, and work to eliminate harm through proactive management of incidents and exposure risk.
- Plant and Equipment: Ensure a healthy and safe work environment through procurement, design, management and maintenance practice.
We value human life above all else and manage risk accordingly with systems to identify, prevent and manage fatal, serious and moderate injury risks.
Our incident and risk management system ‘First Priority’ enables us to report and manage risk in a consistent way across the globe, backed by our regular site-wide ‘Safe Home Audits’ which rotate among our, about, 90 sites worldwide.
Our Group TRIFR was 12.7 at end of FY12 with our operations in China, Asia, the Middle East and South America all having TRIFR rates well below 10.
Significant improvements have been made in group-wide Health and Safety auditing scores with average scores improving from 52 per cent in 2008 to 83 per cent in current year indicating sound and improving health and safety systems and processes in place across the business.